List:       netsaint-users
Subject:    Re: [netsaint] Re: [Netsaintplug-help] (no subject)
From:       "Ethan Galstad" <netsaint () netsaint ! org>
Date:       2000-09-20 21:51:37

From:           	Karl DeBisschop <karl@debisschop.net>
> Paul Seaman wrote:
> >
> > Hi there.
> >
> > I was trying to get the 'check_udp' plugin to work for checking a bootp
> > service and a tftp service.  It keeps saying there's no response from
> > the server, even though the services are running.
> >
> > Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Pretty soon I'll just start ignoring requests that don't give version
> numbers...
>
> Not today but soon...
>
> You found an interesting bug. I think this has been built-in since
> check_udp was written (I could be wrong on that -- Ethan?)

I haven't looked at the code in a long time.  I'm guessing that the
tftp and bootp services expect to recieve a packet that contains
some binary data in it as well (dhcp does this).  If you don't send
exactly the proper data, the server may not even respond to you.
I'm not positive about tftp, but I believe a full blown plugin would
have to be written just for bootp/dhcp because of the protocol
involved.

Ethan Galstad
NetSaint Developer
---