List:       netsaint-devel
Subject:    [netsaint-devel] Memory leak in postgresql backend
From:       Scott.Allen () hq ! com
Date:       2001-06-13 21:32:05

I am now experiencing the memory leak reported by several others when I
compile with postgresql support.  I'm running 0.0.7b5, with
postgresql-7.1-1.  By my (inaccurate) calculations I'm leaking roughly 5-8kb
every 10 secs, although the leak tends to be a bit sporadic.  After running
for 4 days, we were at a process size of 273 MB.

I spent all of yesterday trying to debug with Electric Fence and NJAMD to
see if I could spot the memory leak, but all I came up with is that there
might be a leak in regcomp() in glibc, which is used in the check_snmp
plugin.  However, when I compiled without db support, and ran with the same
plugins, the memory leak was gone, so it must not be the plugins.  I also
spent time trying to get my hands on a memory profiler, to see if I could
see what function was allocating so much memory, but I struck out there as
well.

Needless to say, my C is pretty shakey at this point, and my understanding
of the netsaint code is even worse.  If more competent coder than I could
take a look at this, it would be much appreciated.  I am willing to provide
any and all assistance I can, as this leak poses a pretty serious problem to
our installation. (we're pretty reliant on the postgresql backend to provide
some enhanced reporting).

If there's any further data or testing I can provide, or any hints where
this leak might be occuring, please let me know.

Thanks,

Scott Allen
HQ Global Workplaces / Lead System Administrator