List:       netsaint-devel
Subject:    Re: [netsaint-devel] fixed check_ntp script
From:       Karl DeBisschop <karl () debisschop ! net>
Date:       2001-04-10 10:45:16

Christian Kurz wrote:

> On 01-04-09 Karl DeBisschop wrote:
> > Christian Kurz wrote:
> > > I just got some error messages from the check_ntp script about my
> > > time-server being down. Therefor a colleague (Marc Haber) fixed this
> > > script for me and now it correctly checks our time-servers. Therefor I
> > > would like to see this version of the script included in the contrib
> > > section. Thanks.
>
> > Dropping explicit paths is not always considered secure (depending on
> > which security expert you talk to), and thus will not be part of the
>
> Well, we just added the dropping of the CDPATH also, since perl
> complained about that variable not being dropped. The PATH variable has
> already been dropped before.

Actually, nowadays I delete all of the perl ENV hash, which is what I
intend to do with check_ntp

> > standard configuration. The rest makes good sense all will be includued
> > in some form.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > $ diff SourceForge/r129/check_ntp
> > SourceForge/r129/build-redhat/plugins-scripts/check_ntp
> > < if (#open(NTPDC,"/usr/bin/ntpdc -c $host 2>&1 |") ||
> > ---
> > > if (#open(NTPDC,"ntpdc -c $host 2>&1 |") ||

I just noticd that it is MY check_ntp which dropped the explict path for
the executables. I'll need to find out what part of my build munged
that, and fix it too. Your's (the top entry) is correct.

--
Karl