List:       netsaint-devel
Subject:    [netsaint-devel] [netsaint] netsaint 0.7 cvs
From:       "Chris Robertson" <robertso () ulv ! edu>
Date:       2001-02-24 8:06:18

 Along this same note I'm also noticing very high memory utilization and
 check latency.  I've seen in excess of 350 megs of RAM being used by > 350
 netsaint processes.  Minimum check latency is (currently) 224 sec, max 584
 sec.  Of the 350ish Netsaint processes (at peak) roughly 100 or so are
 actually executing checks, the others are just waiting around (not zombies)
 and will eventually kill themselves.  I'm curious if this has something to
 do with the fact that Netsaint is controlling the interleaving of checks (I
 have it set to no maximum for the number of concurent checks).  System load
 during all this stays < 30%, ie MTRG has a much bigger hit on the CPU with
<
 100 monitored ports.

 I've also noticed that occasionally the cgi scripts will think that
netsaint
 has died due to the length of time since the last log update.  Netsaint is
 still up while this is displaying and will eventually "fix" itself (ie
write
 to the log file).  None of the actual checks seem to be being affected by
 this latency.

 Has anyone else seen this type of behavior from Netsaint?

 Chris

 (our server)
 Netsaint 0.0.7b1 (I don't remeber this problem with 0.0.7a7 but I could be
 wrong... we had fewer hosts/services then)
 Plugins 1.2.9-1
 rougly 200 hosts, 700 services (a fair number of which are critical)
 No database support
 Redhat 6.1
 P-III 500, 512 Megs RAM
 100BaseT ethernet