List:       netsaint-devel
Subject:    Re: [netsaint-devel] Coordinated Plugin Command Examples
From:       "Ethan Galstad" <netsaint () netsaint ! org>
Date:       2001-02-08 15:04:20

From:           	Karl DeBisschop <karl@debisschop.net>
> "OMeara, Randy" wrote:
> >
> > Ethan and Karl,
> >
> >         There have been many occasions on these lists recently where
> > questions concerning 'how do I check this thingamajig' are answered
> > by someone giving an example of plugin usage that obviously is taken
> > from the default 'commands.cfg' file that is generated by the
> > netsaint build process (not by the plugin build).  The sample usage,
> > in most cases, does not conform to the new plugin interface standards.
> >
> >         It would be a "good" idea to coordinate the commands.cfg file
> > generated by netsaint's build with the current plugin standards.  If
> > this is done now (with 0.0.7beta?), we might expect that next year at
> > this time most users will be talking the same plugin language.  In the
> > worst case, when the legacy plugin interfaces are no longer supported,
> > netsaint will cease to work with those plugins.
>
> The plugins install command.cfg which is current.
>
> I'll leave it up to Ethan whether this same file should be distributed with netsaint as well.

I'll update the commands.cfg file with the current one distributed
with the plugins later tonight.  However, I doubt it will make much
difference, as most people have problems because a) they don't
read documentation or b) they don't tend to look at the sample
config files until there are problems.  Plus, someone could easily
be running an alpha of 0.0.7 with version 1.2.8 of the plugins, in
which case the sample commands.cfg file is going to contain
invalid plugin syntax.
Ethan Galstad
NetSaint Developer
---