List:       netsaint-devel
Subject:    Re: [netsaint-devel] Feature question: Depenedency for hosts
From:       Christian Kurz <Christian.Kurz () planNET ! de>
Date:       2001-02-01 10:02:01

On 01-02-01 Mika Fischer wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan, 2001 at 14:46 +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > The part you quoted still not explains why it took netsaint _3_
> > _minutes_ to notify me of the host being down.

> As far as I understand it, you may want to look at how you configured
> your hosts and services. Let me give you an example:

> host[es-gra]=ES-GRA Server;192.168.0.1;;check-host-alive;3;120;24x7;1;1;1;

> The number 3 directly after check-host-alive means that the host check
> is performed three times. I'm not sure about which pause there is between
> the checks (advice appreciated) but you may try to set this to 1.

Well, I had it set to 10 and now reduced to 2, so this would explain why
I took 9 tryes till it gave up.

> service[rosie]=FTP;0;24x7;3;5;1;nt-admins;120;24x7;1;1;1;;check_ftp

> Again the 3 after 24x7 means that the service check is performed three times
> before sending out a notification.
> The 5 directly after means that the check is performed every five minutes.
> This may be too long for your needs.

Hm, this is set to 3 which would explain the 3 minutes. So, for the
important checks like ping, router-alive, host-alive, I would have to
reduce it.

> I think it might be nice if it would test as early as possible because
> host outages could be detected earlier, and we wouldn't loose much if the
> host wasn't down or the service check failure was a false alarm.
> Comments appreciated.

I would agree with you on this point and thanks for you nice mail with
the explanation for me. Now I maybe able to change the time period to a
lower value, so that the noticifications will arrive earlier.

Ciao
     Christian
--
Christian Kurz                                   http://www.planNET.de