List:       netsaint-devel
Subject:    [netsaint-devel] snmptrapd support for NetSaint
From:       Jeff Cours <jeff () ultradns ! com>
Date:       2000-05-17 16:44:40

Hello, all -

In the next release (4.2.something) of the ucd-snmp library, the
snmptrapd daemon, which receives SNMP traps, should be able to support
NetSaint. The daemon already has the ability to log traps to stdout
using its own logging format. I've just submitted some code to UCD that
should get rolled into the new snmptrapd that allows you to specify the
output format for writes to stdout, so in the simplest case you could
use a command line like this to dump that trap information directly to
NetSaint's command file:

snmptrapd -P -F "[%t] PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;%A;TRAP%w;2;%W %q\n"
>> /usr/local/netsaint/var/rw/netsaint.cmd &

Snmptrapd's stdout mechanism does not support file locking, so using
this simple approach will work only for sites that have a fairly low
volume of traps. (I haven't gone through that part of the source code,
but I suspect setting things up this way would create a chance that
NetSaint could retrieve the file while the daemon's in the middle of
writing a line, which could result in NetSaint's missing a trap,
especially as the number of traps increases.) Avoiding the race
conditions well enough to handle higher volumes would take a little more
thought and work, as would post-processing snmptrapd's results to give
more flexiblity in deciding what is and isn't a critical trap.

thanks,
Jeff Cours