List:       netsaint-devel
Subject:    [netsaint-devel] 127 character limit on plugin output, why?
From:       Rene Klootwijk <rene () klootwijk ! org>
Date:       2000-03-30 8:02:51

I noticed that plugin output messages are truncated by NetSaint to a
maximum of 127 characters. I understand that the output should be to
long because the status display would become unreadable. However,
sometimes you need more than these 127 characters, for instance when you
include links in HTML in the output message. So maybe it is a good idea
to increase the maximum length of the ouput in the code, or at least
make it configurable through the netsaint.cfg file.

This is how use HTML code in the plugin output:
We include HTML code within the return messages of the plugin output to
link to our own cgi-bin scripts. For instance, a firewall is reporting
that there were excessive drops in a short period. When this alert is
noticed and investigated, it needs to be cleared in order to prevent
ever lasting notifications from NetSaint. We included a link in the
alert message that would call a cgi-bin script (when clicked) that
connects to the firewall management system and clears the alarm. The
next time NetSaint polls the firewall the alert will be gone.

--
Rene