List:       netsaint-devel
Subject:    [netsaint-devel] Suggestions?
From:       "Todd A. Green" <tagreen () ixlhosting ! net>
Date:       2000-03-02 15:48:30

After a few weeks of testing I'm ready to start loading ALL my equipment
into my Netsaint config.

The naming convention i'm using revolves around the FQDN (Fully Qqualified
Domain Name) for the host. e.g. myserver.mydomain.com.

Problem is that some of our equipment's names go over the 32 character
limit.  e.g. ixl-mem-5500A-gw1.ixlhosting.net.

No problem I thought, I'll just up the MAX_HOSTNAME_LENGTH and MAX_VAR_NAME
to 64 in netsaint.h.  I also changed it  in cgiutils.h.

My problem is that when I use statusmap.cgi some of the hostnames above 32
(Actually 31) characters work just fine, but others don't even though they
are the same length.

e.g.
  ixl-mem-5500A-gw2.ixlhosting.net does work.
  ixl-mem-5500A-gw1.ixlhosting.net doesn't work.

What I get is an ? icon and UNKNOWN for the hostname.

I'm wondering if I missed something somewhere in the statusmap.cgi code.

One meets his destiny often on the road he takes to avoid it.

Todd A. Green
Engineering Manager
iXL, Inc.
3160 Directors Row
Memphis, TN. 38131

tel: 901.348-3433
fax: 901.345-9992
tagreen@ixl.com

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
information
that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient,
dissemination of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this
communication
notify us
immediately.