List:       netsaint-devel
Subject:    Re: [netsaint-devel] Netsaint did it again!! :(
From:       Hugo Gayosso <qztf7k () powertrain ! mpg ! gm ! com>
Date:       2000-02-17 13:29:29

And today.....again!

        Now only two printers and one server notified problems, the other ones
didn't (they should report, if you are following my sequel).

        It seems that I will be forced to put a cronjob to restart Netsaint
just after the initial working hours. :(

        This is completely weird, because sometimes some hosts report,
sometimes, nobody report, sometimes only the printers, but the good thing is
that Netsaint is still alive.

Greetings,
On 16-Feb-2000 Ethan Galstad wrote:
> What OS are you running NetSaint under?  Linux, FreeBSD,
> Solaris?  Also, what version/release?
>
> Send a copy the timeperiod definitions you have, as well as one of
> two service and contact definitions that seem to be affected.  There
> are several filters that have to get passed before a notification can
> go out, so something might be holding them off.  If the notification
> timeperiod for the service isn't valid for a particular time, then the
> notification is not sent out to any contacts, regardless of their
> notification timeperiods.
>
> BTW, you don't have any event handlers that might be putting
> NetSaint in STANDBY mode during the night, do you?

>> > No good ideas as to cause. I don't remeber what version of netsaint
>> > you are running -- have you checked to be sure that the time-change
>> > bug is fixed in the version you are running?  Are there any
>> > notifications at the time of the failure?
>>

>> I am running 0.0.5b3
>>
>> I haven't checked that bug, where is the patch?, how do I check it?
>>
>> It seems that Netsaint obeys the notification time to stop (18:00), because
>> that's what is set in hosts.cfg in the services section of the hosts. The
>> problem is that it doesn't obey the "start notification" time.
>>

>> > I will point out that my daemonchk.cgi was specifically designed to
>> > return HTML output suitbale for checking by check_http.  This allows
>> > me to use two netsaint installs to check each other's operation.  So
>> > if one goes down, the other notifies me and I can restart it.  Not
>> > a fix to your problem, but for a stopgap it helps
>>

> Ethan Galstad
> NetSaint Developer
> ---
> Email: netsaint@linuxbox.com
> Web: http://www.netsaint.org

- --
Hugo Gayosso                            |  The ultimate result is that some
Controls Process Support                |  innovations that would truly
Electronics Integration and Software    |  benefit consumers never occur
GM Powertrain                           |  for the sole reason that they
Brighton, MI                            |  do not coincide with Microsoft's
USA                                     |  self-interest.

E-Mail: qztf7k@powertrain.mpg.gm.com    |            Thomas Penfield Jackson
 Phone: (810) 220-2635                  |              U.S. District Judge
   Fax: (810) 220-2663                  |