List:       netsaint-devel
Subject:    Re: [netsaint-devel] To many hosts within a hostgroup
From:       "Ethan Galstad" <netsaint () linuxbox ! com>
Date:       2000-01-18 2:48:55

This is due to limitations in earlier versions when I stored the host
group members as one long comma-delimited list in the hostgroup
structure.  The data is no longer stored this way, so the length
limitation doesn't make much sense.  I'll be reworking a lot of the
data structure code in the core and CGIs for 0.0.6 and will remove
this limitation (along with others) at that point.

> I configured a hostgroup with approx. 75 hosts. When starting netsaint
> it complains the configuration file contains an error. After examining
> the source code I determined what caused the error. The maximum length
> of the buffer when reading the configuration file is 1024 bytes. This
> means when a hostgroup definition is longer than 1024 bytes (more than
> 12 lines), as happened with my definition, an error occurs because the
> next read (the definitions past the initial 1024 bytes) contains no
> keywords. To bypass the problem I had to split the hostgroup into 2
> hostgroups. What I want to know is you opinion, is it ridiculous to
> define hostgroups containing that amount of hosts or should netsaint
> support longer configuration lines.

Ethan Galstad
NetSaint Developer
---