List:       netfilter-devel
Subject:    Re: some question about NAT
From:       Henrik Nordstrom <hno () marasystems ! com>
Date:       2001-05-30 12:58:04

netfilter provides a basic framework for connection-oriented NAT (TCP,
UDP and ICMP).

Normally this framework is activated via iptables
DNAT/SNAT/MASQUERADE targets which initiates the NAT:ing by defining the
NAT rule (source/destination IP,port).

In order to support "odd" protocols using more than one communication
channel and/or requiring data modificaitons the framework supports loadable
helper modules, where ip_nat_dump is one example of such a helper module.

In addition to a NAT helper module, most protocols also require a connection
tracking helper module.

For some information on how to write conntrack and nat helper modules, see
the document "Netfilter connection tracking and nat helper modules"
<http://www.gnumonks.org/ftp/pub/doc/conntrack+nat.html> by Harald Welte,
and the sources of the existing helpers.

If your target is to change the address allocation scheme used, then see
documents on how to write a iptables target, and consult any of the existing
NAT targets. Note: there are some more advanced NAT targets in netfilter
patch-o-matic at the moment..

--
Henrik Nordstrom
MARA Systems