List:       netfilter-devel
Subject:    Re: xt_ACCOUNT and big endian machines
From:       Jan Engelhardt <jengelh () medozas ! de>
Date:       2009-10-30 17:49:21

On Friday 2009-10-30 17:07, Thomas Jarosch wrote:

>> I am in the process of annotating the entire source with the BE
>> markers and I am already getting into situations where I think
>> "there's more bswapping amiss"
>
>One more thing came to my mind: The new code transfers the data in
>network order from kernel to userspace. This will break existing
>applications which make use of libipt_ACCOUNT like the included "iptaccount"
>tool or other applications. We should keep it in host order if possible
>or transform it inside libipt_ACCOUNT. Even if we transform it,
>it will break systems without updated libipt_ACCOUNT versions.
>
>What do you think?

I think it is a non-issue, because all three of libxt_ACCOUNT,
xt_ACCOUNT.ko and iptaccount are updated at the same time.
Especially so if you are an Xtables-addons user!

I will bump the .revision too so that the chance of accidental
collisions is lowered.

Transfer via IPT_SO_... still uses host order.

And I went through the source and annotated it with appropriate __be
markers plus a htonl->ntohl fix.