List:       netfilter-devel
Subject:    Re: [ANNOUNCE] Release of iptables 1.4.1-rc2
From:       Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch () intra2net ! com>
Date:       2008-05-30 8:26:54

Hi Jan,

> Revision 1.72 - (view) (download) (as text) (annotate) - [select for diffs]
> Mon Nov 19 13:23:29 2001 UTC (6 years, 6 months ago) by bero
> Branch: MAIN
> Changes since 1.71: +34 -1 lines
> Diff to previous 1.71
>
> Add -o option
>

> I think it is ok to assume -o is always there. Nov 2001, that's linux
> 2.4.14 timeframe, and most of the now-ancient distros have gone at
> least up to 2.4.20s, which should imply that they also updated their
> greps.

Well, I run kernel 2.6.24 and never had a need to upgrade grep until now.
But I'm fine with the new version, just wanted to report it.

> >Should ./configure detect that
> >or is it even possible to transform the grep call into something else?
>
> I assume people would not be amused if we start requiring perl.
> But you can use it as a workaround...
> 	perl -ne 'print$&if/\b[A-Z0-9]+\b/'

That's true, though I guess there is a "sed" wizard out there
that can easily rewrite the call into a sed command,
which should be available on most (ancient) systems ;-)

Thomas