List:       netfilter-devel
Subject:    Re: extending conntrack event data
From:       Amin Azez <azez () ufomechanic ! net>
Date:       2005-04-21 9:49:38

OK, I see that the skb is only available in ip_conntrack_event_cache and
not ip_conntrack_event. I'm not clear on the different purposes of these
two functions, but I see that both could potentially cause events in
conntrack(-tool). I also see that notifier_call_chain is a general
function and that my suggestion of adding an extra parameter to it is
not likely to be well received.

It is thus not practical to do as I suggested and make skb information
available at conntrack events.

Perhaps my real answer is to store the mac address as part of the
conntrack info?
Is it legitimate to maintain link layer information of a connection with
the other conntrack info?
I can see that some people won't care for it, while in other cases it
forms an important part of the connection state.

Perhaps it should be a configure option, whether or not to maintain link
layer information in the conntrack?
(I'm likely to also store the conntrack creation time, and some kind of
serial number for my own purposes.)

Opinions?

Amin