List:       netfilter-devel
Subject:    Re: nfnetlink/ctnetlink - OOPS&panic
From:       Pablo Neira <pablo () eurodev ! net>
Date:       2005-04-19 12:04:06

Krzysztof Oledzki wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just compiled 2.6.11.7 kernel with nfnetlink/ctnetlink support
> (from pom-ng-20050418). Unfortunately, during system startup, kernel
> panics:
>
> Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
> 000000b3
>  printing eip:
> *pde = 00000000
> Oops: 0000 [#1]
> PREEMPT
> Modules linked in: bonding

You've catch a race condition.

Since you've compiled nfnetlink and ctnetlink in kernel, not as module,
it seems that ctnetlink registers the subsystem via
nfnetlink_subsys_register before nfnetlink has created the netlink
socket. Then you've received an event that has been sent to a
non-existing netlink socket. I can cook an oops with that.

I'll fix it as soon as I get some spare time.

--
Pablo