List:       netfilter
Subject:    Re: Rule Count limit
From:       "Neal P. Murphy" <neal.p.murphy () alum ! wpi ! edu>
Date:       2020-09-24 17:40:31

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 16:17:00 +0530
Jevin Gala <jevin@softaculous.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I couldn't find much information about the limitation on adding number of rules.
>
> I tried adding around 26000 rules and starting seeing this message :

6-8 years ago, I discovered that iptables could not reliably add more than 20k-25k \
rules at a time; a periodic COMMIT (IIRC) every 10k-15k rules would allow me to add \
hundreds of thousands of rules. So there is or was a limit to iptables' atomicity. \
Back then, I was comparing the efficiency of Smoothwall Express' ipbatch program and \
iptables-restore and needed a million rules to obtain meaningful data; ipbatch was \
marginally (~5%) more efficient.