List:       netfilter
Subject:    ipset hash:net performance
From:       Shaun Crampton <shaun () cantab ! net>
Date:       2015-05-19 5:39:15

Hi,

The manpage for ipset's hash:net type says that "The lookup time grows
linearly with the number of the different prefix values added to the
set.".  Just wanted to check whether "prefix value" means the "prefix
length" or whether it means "the value of the prefix as whole".

As an example: if I have 10.0.0.0/8, 11.0.0.0/8 in my hash:net ipset
then is that one "prefix value" (because they share "/8") or two
(because they have two addresses)?

Thanks!