List:       netfilter
Subject:    Re: Remote IP in packet sent from WAN to LAN
From:       Ambroz Bizjak <ambrop7 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-04-19 11:13:04

Do you mean that when an internal client connects to the extrernal
address of the server (as forwarded by the router), the server sees
the router itself connecting?

I believe there is no direct solution to this; if the router was to
state the client's IP address as the source, the client would get the
replies from the server (directly over the LAN), *but* they would have
the source address the internal address of the server, so the client
will discard them (because it expects them to arrive from the external
address).

A workaround is to set up DNS so that the domain name of the server
resolves to the internal address for clients on the LAN.