List:       netfilter
Subject:    RE: Question about conntrack
From:       Gary Smith <gary.smith () holdstead ! com>
Date:       2009-10-26 15:52:16

> Hi list,
> I have a server that nat a network lan where there are some pcs. My
> provider say me that I'm uploading contents from an high (5XXXX)
> external udp port. For see if it's true :) and which lan ip do the
> upload (of course excluding the server) I "tcpdump" the connection and
> see that yes, there is an upload that goes out from the wan (that has a
> public IP) at that specific port, but no corresponding lan traffic on
> the lan port.
>
> Here are my question: why I see the traffic on that port only on the
> external port? nat does also port translation?
> Is there another, better, solution for look for the data that I need?

Identify if it is the firewall or the lan by adding a logging rule to iptables.  We \
do this by setting something like this up when we really want to see what's going on \
(this will generate lots of data).

-I INPUT  -j LOG --log-prefix "FW I: "
-I FORWARD -j LOG --log-prefix "FW F: "
-I OUTPUT -j LOG --log-prefix "FW O: "

When finished:

-D INPUT  -j LOG --log-prefix "FW I: "
-D FORWARD -j LOG --log-prefix "FW F: "
-D OUTPUT -j LOG --log-prefix "FW O: "

If you think it's coming from the firewall itself, run "netstat -atunep" and see if \
there are any connections that match that port.  That should also list which app is \
                using that port as well.