List:       netfilter
Subject:    RE: Choices for virtual IP failover (was Re: Firewall in
From:       Thomas Jacob <jacob () internet24 ! de>
Date:       2009-05-25 17:47:11

On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 17:39 +0100, John Bourke wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> This is what I get for reading everything BUT the man page !
>
> Found the preempt, but the checks seem to refer to the health checks of real
> servers
>
>                   # one entry for each realserver
>                   real_server <IPADDR> <PORT>
>                      {
>                          # Script to launch when healthchecker
>                          # considers service as up.
>                          notify_up <STRING>|<QUOTED-STRING>
>                          # Script to launch when healthchecker
>                          # considers service as down.
>                          notify_down <STRING>|<QUOTED-STRING>
>
>                          # pick one healthchecker
>                          # HTTP_GET|SSL_GET|TCP_CHECK|SMTP_CHECK|MISC_CHECK
>
> I don't think this can trigger a keepalived VRRp failover if a real server
> fails ??? (not that our scenario uses external real servers)

You really need the bleeding edge for the scripting checks:

http://www.keepalived.org/software/keepalived-1.1.17.tar.gz

cat doc/samples/keepalived.conf.vrrp.localcheck

! Configuration File for keepalived

vrrp_script chk_sshd {
       script "killall -0 sshd"        # cheaper than pidof
       interval 2                      # check every 2 seconds
       weight -4                       # default prio: -4 if KO
}

[...]

vrrp_instance VI_1 {
    interface eth0
    state MASTER
    virtual_router_id 51
    priority 100
    virtual_ipaddress {
        192.168.200.18/25
    }
    track_interface {
       eth1 weight 2   # prio = +2 if UP
       eth2 weight -2  # prio = -2 if DOWN
       eth3            # no weight, fault if down
    }
    track_script {
       chk_sshd                # use default weight from the script
       chk_haproxy weight 2    # +2 if process is present
       chk_http_port
       chk_https_port
       chk_smtp_port
    }