List:       netfilter
Subject:    Re: (Ab)using iptables to record byte count per IP?
From:       Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM () comcast ! net>
Date:       2009-01-09 17:10:08

Richard Hartmann wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:50, Artūras Šlajus <x11@arturaz.net> wrote:
>
>> iptables -A ACCOUNTING -s your_user_ip -j ACCEPT
>> iptables -A ACCOUNTING -d your_user_ip -j ACCEPT
>
> Doesn't that mean that I am bypassing the rest of the
> firewall rules?

Yes, it would.  Just leave off the "-j ACCEPT" or use "-j RETURN" if
you want to bypass the rest of the ACCOUNTING chain.  There is no
requirement that a rule have a target.  I have a couple of rules
like that in my "mangle" table PREROUTING and POSTROUTING chains,
and they work just fine.

You'll want to use iptables with the "-x" flag when reading the
counters so that you get exact counts and not numbers like "14G".

                 Do NOT delete it.