List:       netfilter
Subject:    Rate-limiting based on data_throughput/time
From:       Steven Stromer <filter () stevenstromer ! com>
Date:       2008-08-18 18:45:15

I want to rate limit queries to protect from Polyakov styled attack:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/09/technology/09flaw.html?
_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin

ISC's Paul Vixie recommends limiting to 10Mbits/sec to mitigate this
attack vector, but I can't find anything on iptables rate limiting
based on bits, bytes, or Mb / time (as opposed to packets/time).
Assuming that the size of any single UDP packet in a query can
change, up to the limit where it is refused in exchange for a tcp
packet, I can't even see how the correct packets/time could be
accurately inferred. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Steven Stromer