List:       netfilter
Subject:    Re: QoS and IPSec...
From:       Daniel Lopes <lopsch () lopsch ! com>
Date:       2005-07-27 11:59:41

Grant Taylor schrieb:
>> What about this (only for one side ;) ):
>> Suppose we are on LAN A:
>> In the table mangle chain PREROUTING mark all packets coming in over
>> the LAN device and destined for 172.30.13.0/24 and sourced from
>> 172.30.12.0/24 for example with 1.
>> Then IPSec handles the packets.
>> In table mangle chain POSTROUTING mark all packets with AH/ESP
>> outgoing over the internet device and destined for the routable IP of
>> LAN B with 1. Don't know if they are marked twice with 1 but that's no
>> problem. So we can be sure all IPSec packets are marked with 1.
>> Then you can apply the filters in the schedulers for the appropriate
>> marks on the appropriate device in this case the internet device.
>> So we can prioritize outgoing packets.
>> Incoming should also be prioritized. So both directions get their
>> priorities.
>> So in table mangle chain PREROUTING mark all AH/ESP packets coming in
>> over the internet device and sourced from the routable IP of LAN B
>> with 1.
>> Then IPSec handles the packets.
>> In table mangle chain POSTROUTING mark all packets destinded for
>> 172.30.12.0/24 and sourced from 172.30.12.0/24 and going out over the
>> LAN device with 1.
>> Then apply the filters for the marks in the schedulers of the LAN device.
>> This way IPSec should be prioritized in both directions on one router.
>> If it works you can do it with canged addresses on the other one.
>> Don't know if it really works, because it's now 3am and I'm a bit
>> confused and IPSec is already complex standalone ;).
>> But afaik every net device gets schedulers no matter if physical or
>> virtual so it normally should be no problem.
>

> Daniel (and others) thank you for the reply.  However I think you have
> (re)touched on the QoS / Prioritization of IPSec (IP/ESP) traffic verses
> regular internet bound traffic.  I am after how to prioritize just the
> subset of the traffic from Lan A (or B) that is destined to the other
> side.  More specifically I will be having SSH (interactive sessions
> only) / Telnet, Terminal Services (RDP), VNC (RFB), ICMP, SMB/CIFS, FTP
> / SCP (bulk data transfer), RSYNC, LPD, etc traffic from one LAN
> destined to the other LAN through a VPN that has a finite amount of
> bandwidth (128 kbps DSL (768/128)) which will spend a good deal of time
> saturated with all of the traffic going through it.  Thus I want to
> prioritize that interactive services, i.e. SSH / Telnet, RDP, VNC, and
> ICMP, send their traffic through the VPN *BEFORE* any of the bulk data
> transfer services thus hopefully yielding what will appear to be a
> fairly responsive circuit.  Seeing as how all of this traffic is going
> to be encapsulated with in the IPSec VPN and thus becoming IP/ESP
> traffic I can not just prioritize the IP/ESP traffic on the egress of
> the external interface of the router.  Naturally I will prioritize like
> you have suggested to make sure that VPN traffic will have priority over
> [...]

OK as I said I don't know if the marks on packets are still there after
encapsulation. If so there is no problem. Trial and error ;). If not I
think the best solution is the IMQ device to do intermediate shaping
before encapsulation. Wasn't there a discussion on the LARTC mailing
list on how it works?