List:       netfilter
Subject:    Info about iptables performance / stress test tools
From:       "Roman Medina-Heigl Hernandez" <roman () rs-labs ! com>
Date:       2005-01-31 10:09:13

Hello,

I'm looking for documentation about iptables performance. In particular,
I've created some kind of "SNMP/TACACS+ proxy", which is basically an
iptables doing NAT for 161/162-udp and 49/tcp ports, and I need to make
measures of the number of destination "SNMP/TACACS+ hosts" it could
support and the latency penalties involved  when the number of these hosts
grow. Basically, the (summarized) rules would be:

    # SNMP-Trap
    iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s $cpe -d $proxy --dport 162 -j
DNAT --to $prov
    # SNMP-Get y similares
    iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -p udp -s $prov -d $cpe --dport 161 -j
SNAT --to $proxy
    # TACACS+
    iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp --dport 49 -s $cpe -d $proxy -j
DNAT --to ${tacacs}:$tacacs_port
    iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -p tcp --sport $tacacs_port -s $tacacs
-d $cpe -j SNAT --to ${proxy}:49

These 4 basic rules compose the body of a "for" structure, so the total
number of rules are indeed 4 * <number of CPEs> (CPE=Host being accessed
by snmp). Basically I'd need to know the maximum number of CPEs permited
in my machine (1 CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) III CPU family 1133MHz ; Memory:
512 MB)

Any ideas on how to measure it? Are there any tools (or scripts) to
perform these kind of tests? Based on your experience could you guess some
aproximation (at least the order of the limit: 100, 1000, 10000, etc) of
the number of CPEs that could be supported?

Is there any documents (apart from netfilter source) describing internal
iptables behaviour regarding performance? For instance, when doing NAT,
what's a typical limit for the number of permited entries in NAT internal
tables, etc...

Thanks in advance. Your help will be appreciated.

Regards,
-Roman