List:       netfilter
Subject:    Re: myfirewall help
From:       Jeffrey Laramie <jalaramie () Loudoun-Fairfax ! com>
Date:       2005-01-29 14:29:07

varun_saa@vsnl.net wrote:

> [...]

We all have to start somewhere. You should read some documentation on
iptables/netfilter to help you understand how the rules work and what
they do. This is what I use:

http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/chunkyhtml/index.html

> I am writing rules using webmin -> networking -> linux firewall.

This is fine as long as your rules don't become too complex. If you
start to have lots of rules you will find it easier to put them in a
script. In a script you can add comments to explain the rules and you
can run and edit the script from the command line which is faster than
using webmin.

> First what do you think of the rule.

I'm afraid it doesn't really do anything since that combination of
source and destination ports is not likely to happen very often. In
general when opening up ports for services you only need to specify the
destination port. Something like this:

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -i eth1 --dport 3128 -j ACCEPT

This allows udp packets in to the host from eth1 on port 3128

> Second is it Ok to just remove -0 eth0.

Yes, but the rule I listed above is more useful. Adding more parameters
to a rule makes in narrower in scope. Add too many and the rule becomes
useless. Read the tutorial and look and the example scripts. Then show
us your rules and tell us what you are trying to do and we can try to help.

Jeff