List:       netbsd-users
Subject:    Re: Raid1/LVM layout via installer
From:       Greg Troxel <gdt () ir ! bbn ! com>
Date:       2015-07-08 12:42:55

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

> Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> writes:
>
>> These days, the zfs approach is more appealing.
>
> Is it realistic to see it on NetBSD?

I think it is.  There is an old version of zfs which is currently
integrated, which I think almost works.   OpenZFS has a common core of
the filesystem and glue layers for Illumos, FreeBSD, Linux and OS X.
It seems that the Illumos and FreeBSD versions are solid.  I don't know
about Linux, and have had some problems with the OS X version when I
tried it.

Given that older ZFS works enough that the glue layer is mostly there,
it seems quite feasible.  I don't think it's an 8 hour project, but it's
probably something that can be done in a few months by one person.