List:       netbsd-users
Subject:    Re: Filesystems in NetBSD
From:       "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23 () insightbb ! com>
Date:       2012-08-06 4:06:39

> Hi, I am new to NetBSD, so forgive me if this question has been asked
> many times.

> Which are the better supported filesystems in NetBSD, and what is
> their current status (practical usability)? I am especially interested
> in filesystems like BtrFS and ZFS. In case these two are not yet
> supported, what NetBSD-supported filesystem comes closest to them?

> Thanks

> Serg

I'm curious about LFS, seeing it in NetBSD but nowhere else that I can find.

I see BtrFS being introduced in Linux but haven't heard of any attempt so far to \
introduce BtrFS to the BSDs.

ZFS has been introduced to FreeBSD, but it takes some time to get the bugs out; that \
figures to be the case also in NetBSD.

I know Linux can run on FAT32, one example being when the System Rescue CD \
(sysresccd.org) is written to a USB stick.

This makes me curious as to whether NetBSD can run from FAT16 or FAT32, though surely \
FFSv1 or FFSv2 would be better.

Linux can also run from XFS, I don't think any BSD is ready for that.

DragonFlyBSD has a file system for large disks or partitions, Hammer, but I don't \
know of Hammer being used in any other OS.

Tom