List:       netbsd-users
Subject:    [solved] -  build.sh | tools | version
From:       Darrel <levitch () iglou ! com>
Date:       2012-07-28 15:12:13

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012, Greg Troxel wrote:

>>>  2) there might be bugs in the update logic
>>
>> Does some of the update logic overlap etcupdate?  When I ran
>> etcupdate(8) it prompted for me to install sets that build.sh had
>> installed a minute or two before.  After some more experience, I plan
>> to consider sysbuild.
>
> No, totally separate code.  I meant that there are Makefile rules which
> express dependencies, and it's possible that there is someplace where
> there is an unexpressed dependency.

Yes, I have experienced this in other places, too.

> etcupdate could also have bugs.
>
> Also, check out pkgsrc/sysutils/etcmanage, with include scripts
> {BUILD,INSTALL}-NetBSD.  I don't yet understand how it relates to
> sysbuild - I suspect it does things sysbuild doesn't and vice versa.

Probably I can experiment very carefully with sysutils/etcmanage *and*
sysutils/sysbuild without breaking anything.  :)

Thanks, again- for clarifying.  I am probably okay for everything that
I need to accomplish over the next several months.  Last year, I totally
botched a NetBSD5 system because of misunderstanding *one* sentence from
the output of % ./build.sh -h

Darrel