List:       netbsd-users
Subject:    WORKS - thanks (was Re: How to create a bootable USB stick for
From:       piminx () comcast ! net
Date:       2009-08-27 17:49:31

----- Original Message -----
From:  "Chavdar Ivanov" <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:40:11 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific

> > 2009/8/27 Dustin Marquess <dmarquess@gmail.com>:
> > > I think I saw this once after I did to my USB drive what I normally do
> > to HDs: dd /dev/null over it.

Thanks.  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0a ...  did the trick.

OLD antique HP/Compaq D530 is installed and running.

I'm off of NetBSD 3.x and on 5.x, thanks to all for the assistance.

Paul

> > I'm sure there's a NetBSD way to fix it, but what I ended up doing it
> > was putting the USB drive on a Windows machine and using the HP USB
> > Disk Storage Format Tool to reformat the drive.  Once I did that, I
> > then put it back on the NetBSD machine and redid the steps.  Worked
> > fine then.

> There may be something here. Presently I have at least three NetBSD
> instances booting off USB devices - two from external hard disks, one
> from 4GB stick. I had indeed formatted the stick with the HP tool you
> mention and it worked just fine.

> -Dustin
>
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 6:19 PM, <piminx@comcast.net> wrote:

> > > Please read the following wiki page:
> >
> > > http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_NetBSD_from_an_USB_Memory_Stick
> >
> > > It explains how to create a bootable NetBSD USB stick. I've
> > > used the easy method using  "mkmemstick.sh" with success
> > > in the past.
> >
> > Thanks.  Dustin Marquess suggested this offlist.  After the installboot and I get \
> > the "not bootable" message from fdisk, something seems wrong.
> > # installboot -v -o timeout=1 /dev/rsd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
> > File system:         /dev/rsd0a
> > Primary bootstrap:   /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
> > Boot options:        timeout 1, flags 0, speed 9600, ioaddr 0, console pc
> >
> > # fdisk  /dev/rsd0d
> > Disk: /dev/rsd0d
> > NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
> > cylinders: 953, heads: 64, sectors/track: 32 (2048 sectors/cylinder)
> > total sectors: 1952768
> >
> > BIOS disk geometry:
> > cylinders: 954, heads: 64, sectors/track: 32 (2048 sectors/cylinder)
> > total sectors: 1952768
> >
> > Partition table:
> > 0: NetBSD (sysid 169)
> > start 32, size 1952736 (953 MB, Cyls 0-953/31/32), Active
> > PBR is not bootable: Bad magic number (0x0000)
> > 1: <UNUSED>
> > 2: <UNUSED>
> > 3: <UNUSED>

I get the same on the stick (apart from the numbers - it's 2GB one).

> > Bootselector disabled.
> > First active partition: 0
> >
> > # file /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
> > /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1: x86 boot sector
> >

> > Paul

Chavdar Ivanov

--
----
Ogden Nash  - "The trouble with a kitten is that when it grows up,