List:       netbsd-users
Subject:    Re: Gnome - No fonts found
From:       jse () xmission ! com
Date:       2003-08-28 3:54:54

Quoting Soren Jacobsen <snj@pobox.com>:

> On 08/27 17:38, jse@xmission.com wrote:
> > No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
> > library is not correctly configured. You may need to
> > edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
> > about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
> > page and on http://fontconfig.org
> >
> > Did I not install some package that was required?  Or do I need to
> > configure font.config.  The only fonts.conf files are in /usr/pkg/
etc/
> > fontconfig/ and /usr/pkg/share/examples/fontconfig and I assume they
> > need to be somewhere else to work?
>
> Run fc-cache as root. It could take a while. Make sure that you have
the
> following line in /usr/pkg/etc/fontconfig/fonts.conf:
> <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
>
> I can't remember if that's there by default.

That fixed that problem, thanks!!

Now I get a gray background and the gnome startup logo, but it just
hangs there.  The .xsession-errors just has this in it:

SESSION_MANAGER=local/netbsd:/tmp/.ICE-unix/221
Loaded background '0x8097600

and the messages has three messages with gconfd complaining about a
read-only config source:

Aug 27 23:37:42 netbsd gconfd (root-224): Resolved address
"xml:readonly:/usr/pkg/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only
source at position 0

and the last thing in XFree86.0.log is:

Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
removing from list!
(WW) RADEON(0): remove MTRR a0000 - b0000

I'm pretty sure that I get the same Speedo font error when KDE is
working.

If anyone can point me in some direction it would be most appreciated.

Thanks
  -Scott