List:       netbsd-users
Subject:    Re: Downgrading from Ultra-DMA to PIO?
From:       Manuel Bouyer <bouyer () antioche ! eu ! org>
Date:       2003-08-27 20:34:07

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 09:31:19PM +0200, Jonas Lindén wrote:
> Hey, my new disc seems to cause a bit of a problem for me. No data has
> been lost the logs give me disturbing information. It is an old ATA 33

Are you sure ? Can you post the complete boot message ?

> disc and as I understand it should use DMA mode 2 transfers. It seems to
> me that the disc is recognized by the system as and Ultra DMA mode 2

Higher mode than that, as it downgrades to Ultra DMA mode 2.
Unless there is an error in the downgrade code.

> disc and that it then downgrades to PIO mode?

Yes, it's because it fails with a CRC error, which shows signal integrity
problems on the IDE bus. multiword DMA doesn't have the CRC checks so won't
see there are corrupted data.
PIO is usually safe (because much slower)

I also seem to have some
> physical sector errors.  Is there a tool/trick to “quaratine” these
> sectors?

You can try to write to them. If the drive is smart enouth, it'll remap
the sectors.

And can I set the transfer mode “hard”, to say DMA mode 2?

Yes, with flags in the kernel config file. See wd(4)

But please post the boot messages.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>