List:       netbsd-tech-userlevel
Subject:    Re: update dist/bind in netbsd-3-1
From:       Adrian Portelli <adrianp () stindustries ! net>
Date:       2008-07-10 13:51:24

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>> AFAIK we typically don't remove anything before a cvs import is done
>> into dist/.  BTW what do you mean by 'bogus files' ?
>
> Extra files that previously not there in the "NetBSD" source tree like the
> PDF documentation (src/dist/bind/doc/arm/Bv9ARM.pdf but not in netbsd-3).

Ahh, OK I thought you meant that. This file needs to be handled
separately as it's a binary.

>> That I don't know.  Like I said I've used these scripts before to generate
>> patches and they have saved a lot of leg work for me.
>
> Well maybe I should start all over and do it the bind2netbsd way. Just to
> clarify: Okay if I do the commits as I follow the steps (that say to
> commit)?

No, these are releng@ managed branches.  A patch needs to be submitted
for pullup and they handle it from there.  The scripts are effectively
written for someone wanting to update HEAD.

> And when did you do cvs update for the steps?

What I did was run bind2netbsd on a stock 9.4.1-PL1 tarball then run it
again on a 9.4.1-PL2 stock tarball.  I then diff(1)'ed the two (with -N)
and got a diff.  I then applied the diff locally to my netbsd checkout
and manually dealt with any conflicts.

I just tried this with netbsd-3 and it works well but for a few
conflicts that are due to some back ported security fixes.

> Can you double check the steps as outlined in the few scripts to add
> missing steps?
>
> Thanks

I'll have a closer look at your patches tonight.

thanks,

adrian.