List:       netbsd-tech-toolchain
Subject:    Re: gcc8 and "fatal error: had to relocate PCH" with boost-libs
From:       David Brownlee <abs () absd ! org>
Date:       2018-10-29 9:43:24

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 at 08:32, Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 04:18:21AM +0000, maya@netbsd.org wrote:
> > Nice. I lacked a way to reproduce the PCH problems, which makes
> > it hard to update the patch and push it upstream.
> >
> > for boost-libs we have:
> > .if ${OPSYS} == "NetBSD" && ((${MACHINE_ARCH} == "i386") || \
> > (!empty(MACHINE_ARCH:Mearm*) && !empty(PKGSRC_COMPILER:Mgcc))) BJAM_ARGS+=        \
> >                 pch=off
> > .endif
> >
> > But maybe it needs to be all netbsd.
>
> Can we just use the existing + working gcc fix instead?

Apologies, I think I may be missing something.

Do we have a gcc fix for "error: had to relocate PCH" which can be
applied to the pkgsrc gcc7 and gcc8? That would be great.

Otherwise the boost-libs workaround seems a good idea - either
extending to all NetBSD, or all NetBSD on gcc7 & gcc8 if we want to
not change the gcc5/6 behaviour (it could well be needed on more
os/arch/gcc combinations, maybe noone has tried building recent
boost-libs on vax -:p)

David