List:       netbsd-tech-pkg
Subject:    libintl.h and gettext-lib/buildlink3.mk
From:       Richard PALO <richard.palo () free ! fr>
Date:       2013-12-14 17:49:29

Overwhelmed with the hundreds, well thousands of build warnings to the
tune that `${BUILDLINK_DIR}/include/gettext` doesn't exist.

Notice the conflict in this snippet from gettext-lib/buildlink3.mk:

> # A built-in gettext is always going to use a built-in iconv.
> .if !empty(USE_BUILTIN.gettext:M[yY][eE][sS])
> USE_BUILTIN.iconv=	yes
> .else
> BUILDLINK_INCDIRS.gettext+= include/gettext
> BUILDLINK_FNAME_TRANSFORM.gettext+=    -e 's|include/gettext/|include/|'
> .endif

It is senseless to add -I${BUILDLINK_DIR}/include/gettext to CPPFLAGS if
buildlink3.mk collapses 'include/gettext' into 'include'.

I've been able to suppress the warnings by commenting out the
'BUILDLINK_FNAME_TRANSFORM.gettext' statement.

Alternately, the 'BUILDLINK_INCDIRS.gettext' statement could be replaced
by a symlink from 'include/gettext' back to 'include'

Any comments/observations/history as to why this shouldn't be fixed?