List:       netbsd-tech-pkg
Subject:    Re: DEPENDS+= mozilla-rootcerts (Re: ham/trustedQSL)
From:       matthew sporleder <msporleder () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-12-07 18:21:27

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> Benny Siegert <bsiegert@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Makoto Fujiwara <makoto@ki.nu> wrote:
> >> To process this part properly, following steps are necessary (I
> believe),
> >>  (1) # pkg_add mozilla-rootcerts     (not if DEPENDS in Makefile)
> >>  and after reading 'pkg_info -D mozilla-rootcerts' or so,
> >>  (2) # mozilla-rootcerts install
> >
> > I have argued in the past for automatically doing the "install" step,
> > as the package is basically useless otherwise. But there has been
> > resistance from people saying that certificate lists are config files
> > and should be installed manually by the administrator.
> >
> > Personally, I believe that this represents a non-obvious hoop to jump
> > through for a normal user. Probably 90% of people who install the
> > mozilla-rootcerts package do not care about any of these subtleties,
> > they just want the damn certificate warnings to go away.
> >
> > (This is why I wrote the install mode, by the way. Before that, the
> > instructions were like "just execute these ten simple commands".)
>
> This is a difficult question.  The idea that one's system will have
> additional trust anchors (for all programs that use openssl) because one
> installed some random package that one didn't even think about whethet
> it uses ssl is nonobvious and surprising from a security viewpoint.
>
> Perhaps NetBSD's base system should have configured trust anchors
> instead; this isn't really about pkgsrc.  Or perhaps we don't want to
> and we want to make users think about which CAs they trust.  So I tend
> to think that the approach of not having programs depend on
> mozilla-rootcerts is better, and "how to think about what to do about
> trust anchors" is really part of system setup (or is part of the
> system).
>
> I wouldn't mind if mozilla-rootcerts does the install step
> automatically.  But then I think we should have a rule that packages may
> not depend on it, so it only gets installed intentionally.
>
> The underlying problem is that the entire SSL/CA ecosystem is goofy (the
> many-CA, failure of any of which leads to compromise situation, not the
> PKIX protocols).
>
> The idea that we configure trust anchors to hide warnings, and we're not
> talking about security issues is a clue as to how bad the situation is.
> Certainly programs that don't like annoying warnings could perhaps
> configure them off, but presumably there is some intent to get the
> security properties SSL promises (but doesn't really deliver on).
>
> We avoid this issue in firefox (or rather, delegate it to mozilla) by
> having mozilla use it's own configured list of trust anchors rather than
> the system ones.  On Mac, the system keychain comes preconfigured with a
> vast number of CAs, and wget from pkgsrc seems to use that system
> keychain.
>
> I am curious what the other BSDs and Linux systems do.

mozilla-rootcerts are defacto-installed into /etc by many linux systems
I've encountered, probably by being a dependency from any number of
packages, like openssl. :)

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mageia/cauldron/x86_64/media/core/release/openssl-1.0.1e-5.mga4.x86_64.html
depends on 'rootcerts':
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=rootcerts

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/centos/6.5/x86_64/Packages/openssl-1.0.1e-15.el6.x86_64.html
depends on 'ca-certificates<http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=ca-certificates>
'
eventually landing on:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=config%28ca-certificates%29

etc

http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/openssl
suggests
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/ca-certificates

I don't use debian enough to say what that means, but I'm pretty sure you
end up with mozilla rootcerts.