List:       netbsd-tech-kern
Subject:    Re: uuidgen(2)
From:       Frank Kardel <kardel () netbsd ! org>
Date:       2019-07-20 8:26:46

uuigen used to generate the version 1 variant (i adjusted the to the
full 100ns resolution when porting the timecounters).
Some time later somebody changed uuidgen(2) to return version 4 UUIDs I
believe for simplicity and performance if I
remember the commit comment correctly.
I cannot tell which version is most appropriate to be generated in the
kernel or whether there are standards mandating the
generated version for uuidgen(2).

Definitely the uuidgen(2) and the man page need to be aligned.

Frank