List:       netbsd-tech-kern
Subject:    Re: lua: pending patches
From:       Marc Balmer <marc () msys ! ch>
Date:       2014-07-13 7:55:19

> Hi Alexander,
>
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Alexander Nasonov <alnsn@yandex.ru> wrote:
> > Lourival Vieira Neto wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > Here are some pending patches which I want to commit:
> > > http://www.netbsd.org/~lneto/pending/. Please, could someone review
> > > them?
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance!
> > >
> > > --
> > > 0007:
> > > lua: updated from 5.1 to 5.3 work3
> >
> > I will review the changes later but I wonder why the rush to update lua
> > to work-in-progress version?
>
> I don't think we rush. Marc and I have discussed on this and we
> conclude that Lua 5.3 is sufficiently stable and have significant
> advantages over Lua 5.2, such as integer subtype and bitwise
> operators.

I like to add that not only Lourival and I discussed this, but we discussed this with \
Roberto Ierusalimschy, one of the authors of Lua as well.  Back in 2013 at the Lua \
workshop 2013 in Toulouse.  It was actually Lua's author who recommended we go with \
5.3.  The fact that 5.3 is officially tagged "beta" has more to do with how the Lua \
team releases Lua (their "process") than with the language itself.

So 5.3 is not "work in progress" anymore.