List:       netbsd-tech-kern
Subject:    Re: rwd0a and label sector marked read-only
From:       Jean-Yves Migeon <jean-yves.migeon () espci ! fr>
Date:       2008-12-17 14:19:36

Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> All partitions (except RAW_PART) are defined in the disklabel,
> so it might be problematic to define behavior when
> the disklabel is updated via a partition which is being changed.
>
>> - why EROFS and not EPERM?
>
> Because it requires a proper procedure (DIOCWLABEL), not privilege?

Well, disklabel(8) mentions for -W option:

"Allow writes to the disk sector that contains the label."

For me "allow/disallow" is more tied to a permission than a read/write
state, that's why I am asking. But I am no native speaker :)

Besides, returning EROFS might be misleading for the user, as it informs
that the fs is read-only, which is partly correct here (having one
sector marked read-only does not necessarily mean that the rest is in
the same state).

Thanks for the answers.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon