List:       netbsd-port-i386
Subject:    Re: NetBSD-9 on 486DLC? (was Re: NetBSD-9 on 80486?)
From:       John Klos <john () klos ! com>
Date:       2021-08-02 18:34:53

Hello, Ben,

> I have NetBSD 4 installed on an Intel 486, and it works well. I recall
> about 5 years ago trying to install 6.1.4 on it as well, but I don't think
> I was even able to boot. I'll try a newer version and see what happens.
> I see you have 32MB of memory, which I have run 7 generic on before
> (different CPU though).

Is yours an 80486SX or DX? That's one issue. I've seen dmesgs from true
80486 systems (the 486DLC is a 486-class CPU made to work in an 80386
socket), like so:

https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=5832

I expect you'd need more than 16 megs just to boot, considering the size
of a GENERIC kernel. Paired down, 16 megs should be plenty. I'm running
NetBSD 9.2 on an m68030 system with just 10 megs :)

Thanks,
John