List:       netbsd-port-i386
Subject:    bha@pci broken?
From:       Thor Lancelot Simon <tls () panix ! com>
Date:       2009-12-07 19:05:36

VirtualBox offers as one of its options for emulated disk controllers
PCI device 0x104b 1040 (vendor buslogic, device multimaster).  This
should work with NetBSD.  It should work pretty well, actually -- the
driver is old and stable but supports a great deal of concurrency.  It
should help overcome some of the virtualization I/O overhead.

A real Buslogic Multimaster card would also present itself on the ISA
bus -- this emulated one doesn't.

Oddly, though bha* at pci? is in the GENERIC kernel, when I boot a
netbsd-5 install CD image from today's sources, I get "vendor 0x104b
device 0x1040 ... not configured".  I don't see why, bha_pci_match
does:

        if (PCI_VENDOR(pa->pa_id) != PCI_VENDOR_BUSLOGIC)
                return (0);

        if (PCI_PRODUCT(pa->pa_id) != PCI_PRODUCT_BUSLOGIC_MULTIMASTER_NC &&
            PCI_PRODUCT(pa->pa_id) != PCI_PRODUCT_BUSLOGIC_MULTIMASTER)
                return (0);

Which should match.

Does anyone else see why?  VirtualBox also supports an emulated LSI1030
but I've had some trouble with the mpt driver on emulated hardware in the
past, and I find it very hard to debug.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon	                               tls@rek.tjls.com
  "All of my opinions are consistent, but I cannot present them all