List:       netbsd-port-i386
Subject:    Re: IEEE 1394B (FireWire 800) Card
From:       Bill Chiarchiaro <wjc () chiarchiaro ! com>
Date:       2009-11-06 17:47:23

Thanks for the responses so far.

The 5.0_STABLE generic kernel config does have FireWire enabled.  My
machine's motherboard (an Intel D975XBX2KR) has an IEEE 1394A /
FireWire 400 interface.  Some quick tests with an external drive
appeared to work fine, including hot-plugging (although some of the
kernel messages looked a little odd --- will need to check this more
carefully).

But, I really would like to have the much faster speed of FireWire 800.

Perhaps FireWire 400 and FireWire 800 interfaces look the same to the
driver, but it would be nice to know if someone has had success with
FireWire 800 before I buy a random card.

Best regards,

--Bill