List:       netbsd-port-arm
Subject:    Re: Quartz64 firmware
From:       Robert Swindells <rjs () fdy2 ! co ! uk>
Date:       2023-05-08 18:50:33

I wrote:
> I spotted that the latest release of the Quartz64 UEFI firmware has a
> config option to switch between USB3 and SATA as well as allowing
> configuration of the kernel using FDT.
>
> Without changing anything it boots NetBSD fine from USB3.
>
> I seem to be getting a lot of spurious keypresses detected by the
> firmware, makes selecting anything in the firmware config menu
> difficult. This is with a USB keyboard, can't get serial console
> to work.

Retried with r1.1, serial port needed to be 115400 8N1.

Still getting random keypresses with a USB keyboard.

> Tried switching the SATA SSD from a USB3 enclosure to power and SATA
> cables directly connected to the board.
>
> With SATA selected it just loops back to the config menu.

Booting using SATA has worked a couple of times, out of probably 100
tries.

The times that it did work, at first NetBSD wouldn't detect the SSD,
just ahcisata.
I copied the wd config line from amd64 and added a "flags 0x0000"
option, NetBSD
then detected the drive and booted to multiuser.

   wd* at atabus? drive ? flags 0x0000

Maybe something similar to the "flags 0x0000" option needs to be added
the firmware to get it to use any device connected to SATA.

> Will test out if FDT config works, I'm using a custom kernel that
> is stripped down. Having the crypto driver enabled for the RNG would
> be good.

Would need device tree sources from a newer Linux release.