List:       netbsd-port-alpha
Subject:    xserver for alphastation
From:       Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh () nimenees ! com>
Date:       2010-10-23 16:21:27

I've got an old AlphaStation 200 I'm trying to resurrect.  I managed to
get NetBSD 5.0.2 installed and now I'm looking for an xserver to put on
it.  I've been having trouble with the standard X sets.  Is the bit in
the Alpha FAQ about there only being support for half a dozen video
cards still accurate?
I searched around a bit and found a few things that seem to imply that
other video cards have been made to work (e.g. by using xfree86?) but
it's not clear to me where I get a copy of that from.
Are there some tarballs (or perhaps even pkgs) that I can install from
somewhere?

I also found a reference to X on Alpha but for Linux, using sources from
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~mattst88/xserver, but I'd prefer not to
spend time compiling a whole bunch of stuff if I don't have to (if that
even works on NetBSD).

eric