List:       netbsd-help
Subject:    Re: NetBSD 4.0
From:       dieter roelants <dieter.NetBSD () pandora ! be>
Date:       2007-04-27 9:35:50

Hi George,

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:41:06 -0400
"George Georgalis" <george@galis.org> wrote:

> I've been having difficulty doing a netbsd-4 upgrade
> from amd64 smp 3.1 cdrom install. (not so worried about
> upgrade as just getting netbsd-4 on this hardware)
>
> do I need to boot a 4 kernel before I install a 4
> userland? do I need to use an alt root, such as a
> live cd to do the install?

You can use an install ISO and use the sysinst upgrade option. (I have
never done that myself.) Personally, I boot single-user (boot -s) on
the new kernel, then extract the sets, then run postinstall and
etcupdate.

> I've tried a few ways, and I keep getting "bad
> system call" or some such as kernel/userland don't
> seem compatible between 3 and 4.

The kernel is backward compatible if you include the relevant COMPAT
options, in this case COMPAT_30. GENERIC kernels are OK. So you should
first install and boot the new kernel, then install the new userland.

> Is there any doc on how to upgrade to 4? What am I
> doing wrong?
>
> BTW not to beat a dead horse but does anyone think
> I'm close when I guess 4.0 release will be 3 to 6
> months?

That, I don't know. :)

Kind regards
dieter