List:       netbsd-current-users
Subject:    Re: amdtemp module does not find any sensors on 5.99.55
From:       Paul Goyette <paul () whooppee ! com>
Date:       2011-07-31 13:28:46

Jared McNeill pointed out in a private Email:

 	That's because pchb already claimed the device. You need to
 	drvctl -d pchb<N> for the 'AMD64 Family XX Misc' device before

This is indeed the problem.

Unfortunately, these machines seem to have lots of pchb<n> devices.
(The machine with dual Opteron-6172 has 21 pchb's, my other machines all
have 6.)

It seems that modularizing the amdtemp driver might not be such a good
idea unless the driver itself can identify and detach the conflicting
lower-priority pchb<n> attachment.

As a secondary but related question, would it not make sense for the
amdtemp driver's modcmd(CMD_INIT) routine to fail if there were no
devices attached?