List:       netbsd-current-users
Subject:    Re: machine rebooting
From:       "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research ! att ! com>
Date:       2001-11-26 13:03:58

In message <20011126135634.A18671@antioche.lip6.fr>, Manuel Bouyer writes:
>On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:24:43PM +1100, Murray Armfield wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>> 	I've got a current i386 machine which gets rebuild/updated about every
>two
>> days. Its been quite stable with KDE running.
>> 	However, I'm writing a tex document and using gv with the watch file op
>tion.
>> The machine is randomly rebooting while I run gv. Usually takes 2 or 3 hours
>
>> and then...bang! down she goes...
>> 	Have not noticed this under KDE and seems stable if I don't use gv with
>
>> watch file option.
>> 	I don't really want to send-pr this yet as my diagnosis my be up the cr
>eek.
>>
>> 	I am still investigating but have no time at the moment; gotta get this
> doco
>> done. Has anyone else seen anything like this, or can some else recreate it?
>
>Maybe gv has some kind of lack ?
>Could you run top, systat vm, and  fstat and see if some resources
>gets consumed ?

I wonder if it's related to the problem I mentioned Saturday about
building procmail and running 'tail'.  Have you gotten any crash dumps?
To get dumps even though I was in X, I put ddb.onpanic=0 in my
/etc/sysctl.conf file.

As for the problem I had -- there was a bug in uvm_mmap.c that
afflicted 'tail' and probably some other programs.

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com