List:       netatalk-devel
Subject:    [Netatalk-devel] [OFF TOPIC] Re: IE5 on Mac and etiquette...
From:       Chip Mefford <cmefford () avwashington ! com>
Date:       2000-08-11 14:43:16

At 01:37 PM 08/10/2000 -0700, you wrote:
 >on 8/10/00 12:07 PM, Matthew Keller at kellermg@potsdam.edu wrote:

 >> *ROTFLMAO* You *lol* just *lol* said *lol* that *lol* IE *lol* is *lol*
 >> "the most" *lol* "standards compliant" *lol* *lol* *lol* *LMAO* Ok i'm
 >> better now. Comedy Central could use you.
 >
 >Okay, I think it's time for another lesson in etiquette, particularly in how
 >to respond to questions deserving an honest, and thoughtful answer.
 >
 >I'm no friend of MS, or their shoddy products, but unfortunately on the
 >Mcintosh, their IE product is far better than many of the alternatives,
 >including Netscape. Netscape crashes regularly, does not support
 >stylesheets, or the latest WWW standards as completely as MSIE 5 for the
 >Mac, and is quite slow.

Everything you say, from the etiquette issue right up though
the netscape stability point is completely in line with my
weak understanding of these issues.

However, when I get to the "latest WWW standards" part, I kinda
loose it. I know that Netscape doesn't support a lot of the latest
MSIE 5.0 specific code, or 4.5 for that matter, or ActiveX or a lot
of other MS specific code, but for pure www compliance, the Netscape,
or iPlanet, or whatever the product is called now, is certainly no
saint but it seems to be in much closer compliance to open www standards
than anything microsoft has ever done or will ever do.

Yes, MSIE 5.0 on the Mac is heads and shoulders above any other Mac
browser, it's really very nice. But compliant? hardly.