List:       netatalk-devel
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-devel] adouble:osx scheme, again :)
From:       Frank Lahm <franklahm () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2011-12-29 15:56:00

Hi,

thanks, but I'm already quite aware of the actual limits of the
mentioned filesystems.

2011/12/24 Anton Starikov <ant.starikov@gmail.com>:
> If I do recall correctly:
>
> EXT2/EXT3/EXT4 filesystems are a bit messy in this respect.

I'll run some some tests with EXT4. I've also requested large EA
support from the main btrfs developer.

> all EA and EA names can't occupy more than single block. Which means that you can't \
> really split large fork into different EAs. And available space for EA does depend \
> on how many space is already taken by other EAs. (although exact limit calculated \
> in different way for all 3 filesystems)

These days OS X and application rarely use ressource forks, only type
1 Postscript fonts and Adobe Photoshop PICT preview come to my mind.

> for ReiserFS and XFS   story is nicer any amounts of EAs with names up to 255 \
> characters and 65535 bytes for value.
> ZFS is unlimited AFAIR. at least on Solaris.

It is.

> About UFS and *BSD I don't know but can check up.
>
> This means that practically, we end up with 3 FS really suitable for EA approach, \
> ZFS,ReiserFS and XFS and linux/solaris.

Possibly. This info would make up a nice chapter in the manual for
Netatalk 3. Anybody ?

> And there is another things, I wonder about. If file with adouble stored in EAs is \
> moved to another location (not with AFP but let say on server) what problems can \
> cause stored backup of CNID in adouble?

None. Far from it! The CNID from the EA is used to adjust the CNID database.

I still need the mentioned function. ;)

-f