List:       netatalk-devel
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-devel] Password encoding
From:       David Riley <fraveydank () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-11-21 16:44:58

On Nov 21, 2011, at 11:20 AM, Frank Lahm wrote:

> > See wikipedia's image.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotoeri
> >
> > In order to input Japanese, we have to choose out of two or more candidates.
>
> This confuses me slightly...
> You mean in order to input Japanese in OS X _except_ for AFP passwords ?

Speaking as a non-native Japanese speaker who uses Kotoeri for my limited Japanese \
with my US English keyboard (native speakers please correct me if I'm misrepresenting \
anything), it's a way of entering in Japanese characters via their Romanized \
equivalents.  There are several different character sets in Japanese; the syllabic \
Hiragana and Katakana, and the (often) multi-syllable Kanji characters.

When you type in the Roman equivalent, you need to choose from a variety of \
homophonic Japanese equivalents.  Thus "kami" could be かみ (Hiragana), カミ \
(Katakana, often used for emphasis or "borrowed" foreign words), 紙 (Kanji, meaning \
"paper"), 髪 (Kanji, meaning "hair") or 神 (Kanji, meaning "god"), among several of \
the possible Kanji homophones.  When you type in the Romanized equivalent, it comes \
out as Hiragana or Katakana (depending on input mode selected), and a window pops up \
with possible alternate transliterations (including the original Hiragana or Katakana \
as well as Romanized equivalents).  My guess is that Apple doesn't allow Kotoeri in \
password entry windows for that reason, though I suppose there could be others; I \
doubt it's a text-encoding issue.

Does anyone know if it behaves with Russian or other non-Roman character sets where \
one doesn't have to translate between several different syllabaries?

- Dave